Description of the Residency
The Mead, Rome PhD Studio Residency is a valuable opportunity for PhD students studying at UAL. The successful candidates will live and work at the British School at Rome (the BSR) that offers excellent studio, living and library facilities, as well as joining its vibrant community of other scholars and artists*. This is a superb opportunity for students to research and focus on their work away from normal pressures, and to use the BSR as a base to explore Rome.
More information about the BSR can be found at http://www.bsr.ac.uk
3 residencies, each of 1 month duration, will be awarded. 1 residence will take place in July and 2 residencies will take place in September of 2016. The duration of each residence is 28 days and their respective arrival and departure dates are:
4 – 31 July
1 – 29 September
UAL post-registration PhD students who are practice based and will be able to utilise the studio.
- In your application, please give an account of how a residency at the BSR would benefit your studio practice and your PhD project, how you plan to use your time there and contribute to the BSR research community. The BSR research statement highlights that it welcomes ‘Practice led research in fine art that engages with the research ethos and community at the British School in Rome.’
- This statement must be submitted as a 2 page, PDF with a 500-word text, plus images.
- Please include the name of your Director of Studies in your application. If you are shortlisted your DoS will be contacted for a letter of recommendation.
- Please indicate any months you could not do if your application is successful.
- Send your PDF to email@example.com by 5pm , Monday 2 May 2016 and title your email ‘Mead/Rome’.
* The successful candidates will have access to an en-suite studio and all the usual BSR facilities – although please note that access to the Library is restricted for part of July.
The residency is officially uncatered however residents are very welcome to come to breakfast when it is served (usually not the last couple of days in July and first few of September). They are also welcome to sign up for Lunches, Dinners and Special Dinners at the standard BSR rates (€15/20/25 respectively) which will be charged as taken.