‘The Other Story’ Online: Digital Exhibition Histories

Are you interested in how contemporary art is presented and then critically received? What do you know about the history of racism in the British art establishment? Would you like participate in the design of a web prototype before its public launch?

I am looking to work with a cross-course team of students to develop an interactive digital platform for documenting and re-activating a highly significant exhibition of contemporary art that took place in 1989: ‘The Other Story: Afro-Asian Artists in Post-War Britain’. This exhibition, which first took place at the Hayward Gallery in London, will be mapped visually and spatially online, and then shared with the public for interactive engagement – and I seek a team to collaborate with me on all of this.

We will initially meet on Wednesday afternoons during May, 4pm at Central Saint Martins, Kings Cross (D117 on 4 May, E003 on 11 May, D117 on 18 May, D117 on 25 May). Welcoming visiting specialists, including the web developer at work on this project, artists who participated in the show and hopefully its curator, Rasheed Araeen, the discussion will be enriched by your participation. Please come along to the first class, 4pm 4 May in KX D117 to learn more – and don’t hesitate to ask any questions beforehand.