is looking for student projects!
The 16th biennial Participatory Design Conference (PDC)
Hasselt & Genk, Belgium, 20 – 24 August 2018
“Participatory Design, Democracy and Politics”
The Participatory Design Conference (PDC) 2018 launches a call for student projects.
From August 20 until 24, 2018 the Faculty of Architecture and Arts (UHasselt), LUCA School of Arts, KULeuven, VUB, Imec, Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering (TU Delft), City of
Hasselt and Genk organise the 15th Participatory Design Conference 2018 in Genk and Hasselt . This international, biannual conference has a long history for bringing together
scholars that work on the cross section of art, design and participation. We expect a big international audience and would like to show them what is happening in our schools, art and research institutions. Therefore, the conference includes a track for showing student projects.
The conference theme for 2018 is Participation, Politics and Democracy. More info on this theme can be found on the website: https://pdc2018.org/call-for-participation/. We invite
students or professors/lectors to submit a project within this overall theme.
Submissions should include:
- project title.
- project image(s) (please send in two images. For the postcards: use minimum 1000
- pixels for the shortest side of the image. For the poster: minimum 3000 pixels for the
- shortest size of the image).
- short abstract describing the project and including the relevance of the project for PD
- (150 words max).
- 3 keywords (that tell more about the content of the project (e.g. performance,
- website, participation, … ).
- author(s) and institution.
- url (website, blog, etc.)
- contact: one of the authors’ email.
- Submission deadline: 14 May 2018
- Notification of acceptance: 15 June 2018
- Camera ready: 29 June 2018
We will make a selection based on: clear presentation of the project, relevance to PD and to
the conference theme. Selected projects will be presented via postcards that will be
distributed among the conference attendees and posters in the Conference venue. During
the conference, attendees will be stimulated to provide feedback/comments/ideas on the
displayed projects in the exhibition. This means you will receive something in return.
We hope to collaborate with you in Genk & Hasselt (Belgium) in 2018!
Jessica Schoffelen, Joanna Saad-Sulonen, Maarten van Mechelen
& Teresa Palmieri
Student volunteers and student projects chairs PDC 2018