Adequate Knowledges

Adequate Knowledges with Professor Adrian Rifkin

Adequate Knowledges is a series of five ‘talks’ that elaborate readings of certain childhood books, beginning with The Tall Green House, the four season story of an oak tree, my first primary school project at the age of five, of which the ‘methodologies’ came to haunt a course I once taught called ‘Aesthetics from Kant to Derrida’: and Lancelot Hogben’s Marxising Man must Measure, from which I learned that, once long ago, ‘one, two, three, many…’ was enough to be getting along with, or a similar history of archeology and another of the natural world that merge an interweave gestures, of looking, astonishment and discovery.

Childhood, oddly enough, perhaps, will end with James Baldwin, Giovanni’s Room, in conflict with Genet’s Thief’s Journal as, when I did read them, I was unable to realise quite what they concerned, in me. In recalling these books, adopting their images and illustrations as models for future comportment, Molesworth and Fotherington-Thomas from Ronald Searle’s ‘Down with Skool’ will meet up with Derrida and Wittgenstein, de Beauvoir, Descartes and Napoleon, amongst many others – as the speaker, in this case myself, re-reads his own archives, looking for lost opportunities, while he also seeks to adopt postures, like that of a picture of Napoléon fantastically staring at the Rosetta Stone in an imaginary in situ, as well as those of art works, film stills and illustrations, but only on condition that these cannot hold, but that they might collapse into new postures of accepting the transformations of the visible….or the heard, etc. How do new knowledges adequate to these starting points? Life writing, or whatever we might want to call it, becomes a series of abstractions of this problematic.

Seminar 1

Wednesday October 21st 2015 17.30 CSM Room C303

In this first event of Adrian’s series Adequate Knowledges a childhood picture and story book, of a year in the life of an oak tree, meets up with the gaze of Ludwig Wittgenstein and deep, queer seams in the memories of other books, and almost forgotten moments in the early classroom … an exercise in the rhetorics of anamnesis and the invention of carrying on, regardless, of kicking the ladder away.

Seminar 2 

9 December 17:30Room C303, CSM, KX
In this second event of Adrian’s series Adequate Knowledges:

‘A second book, one, two, three, many …or what was good enough for then is hardly good enough for now. Is three too many? Was two far too many? Is one more than enough, inconceivably so? In the shadow of future passions as Lohengrin watches Egyptian science, alarmed and not quite astonished, I will unfold episode two in the annals of adequacy…..’

How do new knowledges adequate to these starting points? Life writing, or whatever we might want to call it, becomes a series of abstractions of this problematic

Seminar 3

Wednesday 27th January 2016   17.30, Room C303, KX

In this third event of Adrian’s series Adequate Knowledges:

‘Back to 1955, it seems, it seems so hard to move on, in the entanglements of this life and that whole history, of that finished form of history and this unfinished form of life or lives, I will carry on trying to sit one row behind myself and slow things down a little, somewhere back in a space of critique and scholarly disclosure.’

Seminar 4

Wednesday 9 March, 2016, 17:30, Room C303, KX
In this fourth event of Adrian’s series Adequate Knowledges:

‘Some vertical layers, and other oxymorons – some serial confusions, and living with the mess: in this instance one after another – the forms of the word “i” with which I have been working, and find an expanded field of images in which to elaborate them. This will mean a better story, like the story of the Grail knight Lohengrin, whose figure once captured me inside these books…’

How do new knowledges adequate to these starting points? Life writing, or whatever we might want to call it, becomes a series of abstractions of this problematic.

OPEN TO THE PUBLIC Booking via Eventbrite: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/adrian-rifkin-adequate-knowledges-tickets-18820179664 

Adequate Knowledges will run throughout the academic year 2015-16 at CSM, Kings Cross. All UAL Doctoral students are welcome. Spaces are limited.

Supported by the Art Programme at CSM and hosted by The Duration and Event research group.

The Doctoral Platform at CSM offers PhD candidates the space in which to meet, share research, as well as co-ordinate, curate and participate in a variety of events.