sensingsite

Sensingsite is a practice based research group engaging with questions around the political, material and sensory natures of site, place, and space. It takes a critical, experimental, and improvisational approach to research methodologies embedded within interdisciplinary art practices across a range of media.

Membership of the group includes academic researchers, artists and current postgraduate students from Central Saint Martins, UAL and beyond. The group meets regularly and has organised symposia, lectures, exhibitions and workshops. We are particularly interested in supporting collaborative research events and presentations.

sensingsite is organised by Susan Trangmar s.trangmar@csm.arts.ac.uk and Steven Ball s.ball@csm.arts.ac.uk  for Fine Art Research, Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London.

Go to http://sensingsite.blogspot.co.uk to see past activities or contact us for further information.

“I don’t like to talk about it ….”

PROFESSOR PAUL HAYWOOD  

Dean of School of Art Central Saint Martins

Thursday 9 November Central Saint Martins Room C303 at 6.15pm (bridge)

A presentation that will cover a series of very short talks about aspects of being an artist, or fulfilling the role of the artist, in the context of social change processes that don’t actually require the presence of an artist.

This is a contemplation about the undertakings of focused and specifically motivated communities and the relevance of their artist friend. The session will include an experimental demonstration of paint making and mixing, using materials that would normally service our social and political identity, subtitled: “How to make oil paints at home, or close to where you live”.

In entirety, the presentation is a compilation of short semi-fictional and actual accounts of failure in the production of an individualised arts practice.

followed by drinks

Book here   https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/susan-trangmar-steven-ball-15597523700

Biography

‘Outside of education I remain committed to long term collaborative initiatives that are typically characterised by a role for artists and art producers in processes of social innovation and local change. I am a Director of Guns to Goods CIC, a collaboration with the artist Karen Lyons, dedicated to the reduction and recycling of gun metal through creative design and sculptural practices. I am the co-founder of Colourground, working with the designer Maxine Kennedy on a long-term mass observation project that is making use of technologies and social interactions to build a global map of colour in the environment. I collaborate with Ruth Potts in the School of Midwifery at University of Salford and we have established and joined the European Co-operative Learning Action Network concerned, committed to the development and design of open learning recognition in support of non-traditional informal learning. I continue to work in a company director role with Islington Mill Arts Club as part of their development with local regeneration in the new cultural quarter in Salford.

I paint at weekends.’

This event is organized by sensingsite www. sensingsite.blogspot.co.uk

The Doctoral Platform at CSM offers PhD candidates the space in which to meet, share research, as well as co-ordinate, curate and participate in a variety of events.